Tuesday, 17 July 2012

The day after yesterday

Well it's been a weird day, head was a bit all over the place for half of it (my boss would probably say "no change there then!").

Woke in the small hours, and it would appear I have reverted back to the early days of knowing, where it's the first thing I think of when I wake.  It's odd, but since the op and then follow up consultation, although things certainly haven't been forgotten about, it wasn't the "all consuming" thought that it was leading up to the op...today it feels like it is back to that stage.

Anyway, it took a while to get back to sleep, something that happened only a short while before I needed to get up.  I seemed to be on go slow this morning, but had a kick up the backside by Rik and was eventually ready to leave the house...I even remembered a birthday invitation that needed to be posted - quite an achievement for me as I am terrible for remembering to post things!

I got half way to the station and realised I'd forgotten my purse, so had to come home for it...leaving the house, take two!!! Of course, once I got to the station I discovered I had more than enough on my Oyster card to get to work and back...sod's law and all that.

My mind has drifted on and off today, which is to be expected really.  Sadly it also ran off to the extreme twice and I had to reel it back in quickly, repeating to myself "we only deal with what we know".  Got to keep reality in check.

Have to start a list of things we need to sort out though, which includes something that I think is secretly terrifying us both deep inside, the simple task of making wills.  If we had done this years ago, it wouldn't seem so scary...the fact we need to get them in order and have only been prompted to do so because of Rik's cancer is what makes it stupidly terrifying.  We meant to do it back in March, but yep, you guessed it, we avoided doing it...but not this time, we shall get our affairs in order, not that we have much to leave to each other or anyone else, but however else will I ensure the person who gets my lovely Kenwood cake mixer (time share between two friends, in case they are wondering...I'll wager both know who they are LOL!) and hell, I want his Raspberry Pi!  Obviously these are something that we won't actually need for a good 50-60 years yet!

For the last 24 hours we've been getting lots of wonderful messages of support from friends and family, more tales of surviving and beating this stupid horrid thing, words of optimism that have brought tears and lifted spirits in pretty equal measures.

On a lighter note, the eldest daughter is off travelling around Europe for three weeks, the middle daughter has a new boyfriend and the youngest is having her last session as a Beaver Scout - come September she will be a Cub Scout! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment