Saturday night was a night we'd been dreading since the biopsy...it was time to tell my husband's two older girls from his first marriage.
We had already told our seven year old that daddy's kidney was poorly and that he would be having an operation for it to be taken out. We reassured her that he could function perfectly well with one kidney but he would need some looking after for a little while. She bartered looking after for foot rubs - she's a smart girl!
Back to Saturday. I had a call from my husband that the older of the two girls could no longer make it, and as we wanted to tell the girls both together and face to face, I had to call her. Without giving too much away, and trying not to worry her, I stressed how important it was that she come over that day...I left the 'phone call convinced she thought we were getting divorced.
The girls arrived, we had a lovely dinner, popped the youngest to bed and then had to tell them...and it was the most heartbreaking thing I've ever had to go through. Looking at the faces for his daughters whilst he told them he had cancer was just awful - instant worse fears were written all over their faces, and tears being attempted to be held back, but inevitably falling down their faces. He moved over to sit with them and cuddle them, and the chat continued.
As ever, by the end we'd given over as much information as we had (I have read considerably more online about things than he...mainly because I'm nosey) and even managed to have some smiles and laughs...by the end of it all we'd decided he needs to have a tattoo done...either a "Gone fishing" or the eldest found a "404 Kidney not found".
We have also got our little secret code in LOL...this stems from my MiL still signing off texts with it, including after we'd told her he had cancer..."...thinking of you. LOL. xx" - gotta love mums, haven't you? LOL!
No comments:
Post a Comment